Many people believe that if they did not get braces when they were a child or a teenager, they missed out on the opportunity to get that beautiful, straight smile they have always wanted. Orthodontists hear many common excuses, including:
- Braces are too expensive
- Braces are unattractive, or
- Once you are an adult, your teeth have simply been stuck that way for so long that it would take too long to get them straight
While it is easy to convince yourself to continue going with the flow and not step out of your comfort zone, you might be amazed at how quickly your teeth can shift and change when you start receiving orthodontic treatment. If you have spent years wondering whether braces (in any form) are right for you, it is time to schedule a consultation with an orthodontist who will give you the best solutions for your smile.
What can braces do for an adult?
You may be thinking that you would like a change cosmetically. Perhaps you have never quite had that perfectly straight smile and want to see if braces will give that to you. However, it is important to understand that there are many other benefits to getting braces as an adult as well. A trusted office for orthodontics Orange County, CA trusts like John Redmond Orthodontics knows that braces can help adults with:
- Speech concerns. If you have suffered from some type of speech impediment and have wondered if straightening out your teeth and fixing an overbite can help, braces may be a good decision for you. While it’s true that braces will not be able to fix every oral issue you have, they may be able to help improve a speech concern you have.
- Crowding or gaps. Whether you are suffering from teeth that are overcrowded or have gaps between your teeth that you find unsightly, braces can help. For overcrowding, braces can help to move teeth and straighten them, giving you more room. For gaps, braces can help bring your teeth closer and give you that beautiful, straight smile.
- Malocclusion. This is when you have some sort of bite issue, whether it is an overbite, underbite, open bite, or crossbite. A bite issue can cause problems when you are chewing and may end up causing you more money in the long run if you find you have broken and chipped teeth often.
You should not have to keep going through life wondering if braces would help you. Instead, reach out to an orthodontist you can trust to learn the different options you have and how they may improve your quality of life. For more information, reach out to a local orthodontist today.