Understanding Invisalign Treatments
Invisalign is a solution for some candidates who require orthodontics Orange County, CA patients recommend. While traditional metal braces may be an acceptable alternative for many, for older teenagers and adults, the idea of wearing traditional metal braces can seem distracting and overwhelming. Most of our older patients don’t want visible braces because they aesthetically change how they look, which can be anxiety-provoking, impact photos, and more. Thankfully, for those who require orthodontics and want a less noticeable option, Invisalign may be an alternative. By scheduling a consultation with John Redmond Orthodontics, patients can learn more about this form of treatment that is quickly growing in popularity and determine whether Invisalign is right for them.
The Benefits of Invisalign
There are significant benefits for those interested in Invisalign as a treatment option for bite issues, misaligned teeth, minor gaps, and more. Perhaps one of the most popular reasons many choose Invisalign is because of its discrete nature. Those wearing Invisalign experience minimal impact on their appearance because the aligners are only minimally visible to others. In addition, there are several other benefits, including:
- Fix dental issues that could cause severe problems later on
- Non-invasive way of treating dental issues
- The fit is customized for the patient and is generally more comfortable than traditional braces
- Dental hygiene is more convenient because patients can remove the aligners
- There are no food limitations because aligners are removed for eating and drinking
- Changes to the teeth are evident in real-time, meaning, you don’t need to wait to see results until after the braces come off
- Typically shorter treatment times
Seeking orthodontics Orange County, CA patients rely on for a healthier smile can help patients determine whether Invisalign is right for them so that they may begin treating their dental issues discreetly.
Caring for Teeth with Invisalign
While aligners are less intrusive than traditional braces, they require proper care and diligence. Aligners must be worn for 20 hours a day, and having the ability to leave them out for too long may be tempting. However, this can severely impact a patient’s progress. In addition, here are some care tips when wearing aligners:
- You must refrain from eating when wearing aligners; and patients must always remove trays
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and after every meal, if possible
- Practice daily flossing and use mouthwash
- Clean trays daily for 30 minutes using either denture cleaner or a solution of ½ vinegar and ½ water
- When not wearing aligners, always keep them in the provided protective case to prevent unnecessary bacteria growth or losing them
Unlike traditional braces, aligners are removable, making dental hygiene easier; however, compliance in wearing the aligners is imperative to achieving treatment goals.
Candidacy for Invisalign
Most teenagers and adults who require orthodontics are interested in aligners as an option. However, it’s important to note that not everyone is a candidate for Invisalign. While aligners can treat many dental issues, sometimes, if problems are too severe or there is a combination of problems, they may not be suitable for the patient. Alternative options are available for those who still require orthodontic treatment but want a less noticeable option, like lingual braces. Schedule a consultation with our team to learn more about treatments available at John Redmond Orthodontics and whether Invisalign is the proper form of treatment.