A warm smile is something that orthodontists pride themselves on giving to their patients. Hairstylists feel the same way about giving someone a fresh new hairstyle. Hair salons have a legal responsibility to maintain a competent workforce and a safe and sanitary environment as well. These businesses must follow strict health and safety regulations, ensuring that all the techniques and chemicals used on clients are safe and free of contamination. They must also make sure to use products only as directed and ensure every client receives their treatment from a properly educated, licensed, or trained salon technician.
Failure to meet these criteria can result in clients being subject to hair loss, scarring, painful injuries, and even potentially life-threatening infections. When you are injured by a negligent salon or salon technician, you deserve to be compensated. You could bring a lawsuit against a salon if your injury were due to a careless or reckless action. Speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer for more details.
Typical Salon Injuries
Negligent work performed at hair salons can result in more than just discomfort; they can result in pain, hair loss, permanent scarring, and infections. Among the most common injuries sustained at salons are:
- Hair loss and scalp injuries
- Chemical burns
- Wax burns
- Cuts and abrasions
- Bacterial infections
- Slip and fall injuries
- Laser burns
- Allergic reactions
You might need to pursue a personal injury claim to help you receive compensation for your medical bills, pain, suffering, reconstructive measures, or hair restoration treatments. Suing a salon for negligence can help you cover these and other damages you may have incurred as a consequence of the injury.
Typical Causes of Salon Injuries
There are many different things that can happen at a salon that cause damage. Some of the most common include:
- Using contaminated or expired chemicals. Chemicals which are often used in cosmetology and hairstyling treatments can result in severe hair loss, allergic reactions, and painful burns. It is the responsibility of the salon to ensure that all chemicals are safe before use.
- Improperly testing products or using defective products. A salon may need to conduct several tests to determine whether a product could have any adverse effects on a client’s skin, hair, or health. Failure to perform these tests or using defective products can result in permanent hair loss, disfiguring burns, scarring, and serious allergic reactions.
- Selecting an inappropriate treatment or failing to use a treatment as directed. Understanding what treatment is best for a client and how the treatment should be used is the responsibility of the salon technician. Everyday negligent actions leading to injury include leaving hair dye in too long, applying wax at improper temperatures, and improperly applying a chemical treatment.
- Using unsanitary instruments. Improper or incomplete sanitation methods can substantially increase the risk of bacterial and other infections. In extreme cases, unsanitary instruments have been linked to the spread of hepatitis, HIV, and tuberculosis.
Contact an Experienced Hair Replacement Doctor
When salon injuries lead to scalp burns, scarring, and hair loss, you may need to seek the help of a hair transplant doctor, like Dr. Robin Unger, to regain what was lost. You shouldn’t have to suffer unsightly, even disfiguring, hair loss due to another person’s negligence. Schedule a consultation with a qualified and experienced hair treatment doctor today, and be sure to tell them you’ll need their medical documentation as evidence of your personal injury.